- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Old & Rare Books
Old & Rare Books
Older and rare books constitute a substantial part of our Special Collections.
- 19th century illustrated anatomical, botanical and zoological collections
- 19th century engineering and construction
- History of Ireland with particular reference to local history
- Irish language including biography, fiction, poetry and translation
- Irish folklore
- Religion, devotional literature and bibles
- Travel literature relating to Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries, especially pertaining to the Western seaboard
We also have significant 19th century academic collections which were purchased when the College was opened in 1849.
There are also many Named Book Collections which have been donated or purchased.
To discover rare and antiquarian material on your topic, search by subject on the Library Catalogue. You will notice options to filter your results. Choose Special Collections under the collections heading to see details of materials on your topic that are housed in Special Collections.
All Special Collections material must be used within the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room and may not be loaned.
When the library catalogue entry says 'Available at Special Collections Reading Room' the book is available for consultation on the Reading Room shelves. If the entry doesn't specifically mention the Reading Room, it is an item that must be requested, using the library catalogue (for University of Galway readers) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
091 49 3399