- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
All standard loan and 3-day loan items will automatically renew except in cases where:
- You have fines of more than €5 on your account.
- Another user has requested the item. In this case you will receive a text and email to let you know the item has to be returned in 3 days or fines will be added to your account.
- You have another overdue item on your account.
The automatic renewal will take place two days before the due date of the loan. You will not be notified that a loan has been automatically renewed. You will be notified before it is due by an email to your @universityofgalway.ie email address so watch out for those notifications.
When borrowing books, use the Self Issue machines. There are machines on all floors of the Library. You must always have your ID card with you to use the machines. There are easy to follow instructions on the screen.
If the book you require is already checked out, you can place a hold on the book.
If you are unable to perform a loan using the self-issue machine, please check your account to ensure:
- You do not have a fine that you need to pay
- You do not have overdue books that must be returned
- You do not have your full quota of books already
If none of the above apply, there may be an issue with the book. Bring it to the staff at the Library & IT Service Desk to resolve the issue.
How Many Books Can I Borrow?
The number of standard loan books that can be borrowed depends on the category of borrower. A standard loan book is one that does not have a 1 Day or 3 Day loan sticker on the spine of the book.
The loan period also varies according to the type of borrower:
||No. of Books||No. of Days||No. of Renewals|
|Assistive Technology Service Users||7||14||9|
External User Borrower
(External Users having paid for Borrowing Rights)
|Summer School Students||4||14||5|
|SCONUL Band A, B, C||4||14||5|
Loan Periods for Non-Standard Items
- 1-Day: 1-Day loan
- 3-Day: 3-Day loan
- DVD’s, AV: 2-Day loan
- Theses: 3-Hour loan, consulted in the Library only
- Journals: Consulted in the Library only
- Newspapers, Microfilm, Microfiche: Consulted in the Library only
To submit a ticket:
- Log into Service Desk
- In Service Desk, go to 02. Library Services - Journals/Databases/Resource Issues
- After that, the form will appear, and you can enter the relevant information
If you return books late you will be fined, the following charges are applied for late returns:
- 50 cent (50c) per day for books from the main Library
- Two euro (€2) per day for three-day loan books
- Two euro per (€2) day for DVDs, videos and audiotapes
- Four euro (€4) per day or part thereof for one-day loan books
You will not be able to borrow if you have fines totaling five euro (€5) or more on your account.
Paying your Fines
Fines are paid through your Print Credit Account.
To pay your library fines:
- Login to your Print Credit Account
- Select the ‘Library Fines’ link on the left-hand side menu
- Select the fines to pay
- Click 'Pay Now'
The amount will be deducted from your print credit and the fines marked as paid on your library account
Online Access to Results
If online access to your results was blocked due to an unpaid fine which you have now paid, it will be up to 48 hours before you can access your results after payment of the fine. This 48 hour excludes weekends.
If you lose a Library book, or if a book is stolen from you, please report it to staff at the Library & IT Service Desk.
You will need to pay for or replace all lost or stolen books. We will accept a replacement copy of the same edition, if it is in good condition. Sometimes, it is possible to buy cheaper copies from one of the secondhand bookshops in Galway, e.g., Charlie Byrne’s or Kenny's.
We will extend the loan to give you time to replace the book without incurring late fees.