- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Academic Skills Service for Students
The Academic Skills Team in the Library supports the needs of all staff & students. We are located on the ground floor of the library and offer a drop-in service.
Request a Library Class
The Academic Skills workshops are also available as drop-in classes to support all Undergraduate and Master’s Students in finding, using, and managing information.
Workshops for Students
Week 2-3 of Term
- First Year In: Get off to a flying start and learn about using scholarly sources, using the library catalogue & getting the most out of your library to make your first year a success
- Smart Searching: Learn how to effectively search the catalogue and how to develop a search strategy to search databases effectively
- Cite Them Right: Learn the basics of referencing, tools to help you manage your references and tips on maintaining good academic integrity including emerging challenges such as contract cheating and AI
- Conducting a Literature Review: Learn how to think critically about the information you use, how to narrow a topic to create a research question and create a search strategy using Boolean commands, filters and drop-down menus
- Endnote for Citing & Referencing: Learn how to use Endnote to manage your reference library and use Cite While You Write (CWYW) to cite and reference your sources
- Research Skills for Students: This session gives a good overview of what’s involved in the research process. Students will get hands on experience exploring scholarly sources, evaluating information, creating effective search strategies to search the library catalogue/databases and tools for managing references. This workshop is ideal for those embarking on completing bigger pieces of works such as a final year project or a thesis.
Self-Directed Library Guides
Check out the below guides for help getting started in the Library and conducting research.
The Academic Skills Team supports the information needs of all Undergraduate and Master’s students. During term time, drop-in at the Academic Skills Hub. Check our opening hours.
Contact us at email@example.com. We can help over email or arrange a virtual meeting over Teams.
We can help with:
Academic Skills Librarians & Assistants
Archives and Special Collections/Academic Skills
091 49 5250/5229
Inter-Library Loans/Academic Skills Assistant
091 49 5229
Academic Skills Assistant
091 49 3399
Academic Skills Librarian
091 49 3564
Academic Skills Librarian
091 49 5228