- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Reading List Service
Reading List Service
The Library's Reading List Service is a one-stop teaching support service for academic staff.
Our Service Will
- Order required books/e-books
- Prioritise your reading lists
- Provide direct linking to the list from Canvas for your students
- Request chapter and article digitisation
Find Out More
Bookmarking from the Library Catalogue
- Go to the Library Catalogue
- Search for your book
- Once the book is located, click on the title to display the full book details
- Click on the Talis Bookmark Extension you have installed
- You will be automatically brought to the Bookmarking page in the Reading List System
- Do a quick check of the bibliographic information to ensure accuracy (edit fields if necessary)
- If it an e-book, make sure that the Online Resource box is ticked
- Click on Create and Add to List
- Select your reading list from the drop-down menu that appears
- Choose what section to add the book to and add notes for students at this point
- Select if the book is for Student Purchase/Core OR Recommended.
- Click on OK to finish
Install the Talis Bookmark Extension
- Install the Talis Bookmarking Extension from the Chrome web store
- Click Add to Chrome. A popup will appear confirming you'd like to add the extension to your browser
- Click Add extension. You should now see the Talis logo appear alongside your other extensions (such as EndNote)
- The first time you use this extension it will prompt you to select your institution - click the dropdown menu and select University of Galway from the list, then click Save
- Finally click on the Pin icon to make the Talis extension icon visible on your browser bar
Linking from Canvas to a Reading List
See our tutorial Linking from Canvas to your Reading List or follow the instructions below.
- In Canvas, select Settings within each course
- Select Navigation
- Locate the Reading list option (towards bottom of list) and then click Enable
- Move the list link to an appropriate position within the Course Navigation and click Save
- The Reading Lists link now appears in the main navigation menu
- Click on the Reading Lists link
- Search for the current reading list using the module code alone (delete the year e.g 2334-) and select appropriate list, click on Save
- The reading list is now linked
Reading List Support & Online Tutorials
- Our Reading List Guide provides a detailed overview of all elements of creating and managing your online reading list.
- Our FAQs (page 13 of our Reading List Guide ) addresses several common questions
- Example: Can I link a reading list to more than one module? Can a reading list be shared by a number of lecturers? etc.
- Create and Structure your Reading List
- Adding a Book to your Reading List from the Library Catalogue
- Adding a Book to your Reading List not on the Library Catalogue
- Requesting a Book Chapter for Digitisation
- Linking from Canvas to your Reading List
Steps in Using the Reading List Service
- Login to reading lists and create a user profile (please select "public" option)
- Create your reading list and add required sections - see page 2 of our Reading List Guide or view our Create and Structure your Reading List Tutorial
- To start adding resources, install the Talis Bookmarking Extension to your browser
- Add books, e-books, chapters, journal articles, websites etc. to your draft reading list using the Talis Bookmark Extension. For assistance view our Adding a Book to your Reading List tutorial
- Publish the reading list and add the link from the Canvas module
- The Library will review the list, purchase new books/e-books, digitise requested chapters/ articles