- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Study Break Policy
QA814 Study Break Policy
In response to feedback, and to reduce the instances of desk hogging, the Library has a 'Study Break Policy' in place during peak times in the Library. This enables students to take a break from study, without losing their study space in the Library, while ensuring that desks are available to others if a student is gone for more than one hour.
- The Study Break Policy will be in place Monday to Friday during peak pre-exam periods of both Semesters.
- Users must make use of an "I'm Taking a Study Break" timesheet, to record the time they leave for a break. (One sheet can be used 40 times thereby eliminating the needto pick up a new sheet each day).
- Breaks can be of 5 – 60 minutes duration.
- Timesheets will be available at the entrance to the Library and at both front and rear entrances/exits on all three floors.
- Library staff will patrol all study areas during peak weeks, to check unattended desks for the "I'm Taking a Study Break" timesheet. If there is no timesheet, or if the time recorded has expired, belongings may be removed.
- Students seeing an unattended desk with no "I'm Taking a Study Break" timesheet, or the time recorded on it has expired, are free to move belongings to one side and to muse the space. If they feel uncomfortable doing this, they may ask a member of the Library staff for assistance.
All users of the Library are expected to abide by Library policies.
Download PDF copy of the policy: QA814 Study Break Policy