- My Library Account
The Library provides access to books, electronic resources, archives, special collections, and more to support your learning and research.
The Library is committed to supporting your research needs with expert guidance and resources.
- Academic Skills Service for Students
- Academic Writing Centre
- Assistive Technology Area
- Borrowing Limits, Lost Books & Fines
- Digital Literacy
- Equipment & More
- Group Study Rooms
- Library & IT Service Desk
- MakerSpace for Students
- Past Exam Papers
- Photocopying & Printing
- Shannon College Library
- Study Spaces
- Using Other Libraries
The Library has all the resources and supports you need to be successful in your studies at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Whether you're just starting your studies or working on your final project, we're here to help.
We are here to help lecturers and academic staff deliver quality teaching and support their students' success.
- Workshops & Events
Children Accompanying Registered Library Users
QA811 Children Accompanying Registered Library Users
The Library recognises that University of Galway registered students and staff with children may need to bring their children to the library on rare occasions. Users accompanied by children will be permitted into the Library for a short period only, to return material, pay fines, collect an item on hold, retrieve a book from the shelves, avail of printing/photocopying services, and seek assistance at the Library & IT Service Desk on the ground floor.
For the safety and security of children, and in consideration of others using the Library, the following policies have been established:
- At the Access Control Gates users should contact the Library Steward on duty confirming the need to enter the Library for a short period accompanied by their child/children.
- The parent or guardian will be advised to swipe into the Library in the usual way, and the Library Steward will open the lane nearest their desk, for the child/children to enter. This is to ensure your child’s safety. On no account should a child enter with a parent through other lanes.
- Once in the Library users must take full responsibility for their child or children’s safety, behaviour, and the information they access when on the University of Galway Library premises. Children must always be under direct and constant supervision and may not be left alone.
- Children may not use Library PC's. This equipment is not filtered for minors and is strictly for the use of Registered University users only.
- Users must be aware that the Library is for study and learning purposes and should leave the Library if a child’s behaviour causes a disturbance to others.
- If an unescorted child comes to the attention of Library staff, they will evaluate the situation and try to contact a parent. If the adult responsible for the child’s welfare is not contactable, a staff member will contact University Security to report the situation and seek assistance.
- Any damage caused by a child while in the Library is the responsibility of the accompanying parent or guardian.
Download PDF copy of the policy: QA811 Children Accompanying Registered Library Users